Germany has probably contributed more to the population of the new world than any other foreign country and wherever found the sturdy sons and daughters of the "Fatherland" are noted for their thrift and enterprise. A splendid representative of this nationality is found in the subject of this sketch, Mr. John C. Schuh, who is one of the leading farmers of Center township, Hancock county, and during his residence here he has exemplified those peculiar traits which have made the Teutonic race so valuable a factor in the upbuilding and advancement of our country.
John C. Schuh wads born among the vine-clad hills of Wurtemberg, Germany, on the 23rd of August, 1844. His grandfather, John Schuh, was a blacksmith by trade, married Judith Huber, and always lived in his native land. His parents, John and Regina (Rauser) Shcuh, were both born in Nagold, Wurtemberg, Germany. The father was also a blacksmith by trade in his native land and followed that occupation there until 1846, when desiring to investigate for himself the opportunities reputed to be so plentiful in America he came to the United States alone and remained here a year. At the end of that time he returned to his native land, but being thoroughly satisfied that in the new world lay the field for his future career, in 1855 he made a permanent migration and with his family settled first in Canada. He remained there but a short time, however, his next location being in Darke county, Ohio, in which place he had a brother living. He purchased a lot in Greenville, and later bought also a small farm. Upon the latter place he lived until his death, which occurred in 1867. Their children, six in number, were as follows: Frederick is a wagon-maker; Joanna lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Wilhelmina is a resident of Darke county, Ohio, as is Anna, John and Barbara. The father was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church and took a prominent and active part in advancing the interests of his church. The children of this worthy couple were educated partly in Germany and partly in Darke county, Ohio.
In 1865, at the early age of about twenty-one years, John C. Schuh, the immediate subject, following the dictates of his conscience, entered the ministry of the gospel and connected himself with the Evangelical Association of North America. His first active labors were in Montgomery county, Ohio, and eventually he preached all over that section of the state and in 1869 was also laboring in Indiana, part of the time in Hancock county. Later he went to Marshall county, Illinois, and then back to Ohio, subsequently coming again in 1891 to Hancock county, where he has since resided. After spending four years in the completion of the regular preparatory studies and being ordained a deacon at the end of two years, he was ordained elder and thereafter continued to preach regularly until 1889, his services having been mainly of a pastoral character. He served thirteen circuits, and of these five were served the second time.
In 1871 the subject was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Miss Mary Fink, of Sugar Creek township, this county, and she has proven to him in every respect and under all circumstances a faithful and loving helpmate. Their union was blessed with the following children: Bertha became the wife of Rev. M. C. Pittinger, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church now located at Hudson, Steuben county, Indiana; Albert is a telegraph operator in the employ of the Pan-Handle railroad at Richmond, Wayne county, this state, and is married to Miss Lena Smith, formerly of Center township, this county; Charles J. is now attending school at Angola, Steuben county, this state; Otto H. is at home. On the 1st of February, 1899, he enlisted at Indianapolis in Troop M. Sixth Cavalry, United States army. He was first sent to Fort Reno, Oklahoma Territory, but at the end of six months was transferred to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri. From there he was sent to San Francisco, California, where he remained a short time, and was then transferred to Troop H., Sixth Cavalry, and ordered to Boise Barracks, Idaho, where he remained for five months. He received his discharge December 23, 1900, and has since lived at home. The youngest child, Victor E., is attending school at Angola. Otto and Victor each own forty-five acres of land in sections 26 and 35, Center township, and possess fine, up-to-date farms and comfortable homes. In 1900 they erected a new and comfortable residence at a cost of about seventeen hundred dollars. The mother of these children and the wife of the subject was removed by death April 10, 1884. This family has attained a high standing in this county, a position richly merited because of their many sterling qualities of character, and among their large circle of acquaintances they have many warm friends.
Mr. Schuh is generally connected with the Democratic party, though he looks to the man and aims to support the one he considers best worthy of the position. Not tied to any party lines, he thinks and acts for himself.
Transcribed from Biographical Memoirs of Hancock County B. F. Bowen, Publisher, Logansport, Indiana, 1902 Pages 325-326.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI July 27, 2002.
Return to 1902 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|