John C. Weber was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, April 13, 1849. To the common schools of his native county he is indebted for his educational thought, but this has been supplemented to a great degree by wide reading and intelligent observation of passing events. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained the age of twenty-two years, when he and his wife rented a farm in Sugar Creek township, this county, upon which they remained for five years. In 1878 he bought what was known as the Strahl place in section 12, Center township, consisting of forty acres, and there he made many improvements, building a barn in 1886 and a house in 1893. He continued to add to this tract by purchasing from time to time, as follows: Thirty-five acres of James T. Wilson in section 7; twenty acres of John H. White in section 12; fifty-five acres of the Strahl heirs in section 7, and eighty acres of John H. White in section 13. He has now a total of tow hundred and thirty acres of fine land, about two hundred and five acres of which is cleared. He does not confine himself strictly to any line of agriculture, but is diversified in his crops, paying also some attention to hogs, cattle and horses. He has depended upon the practical working of his farm in gaining a competence and he knows how to work it. He is a splendid judge of the character and quality of soils and knows what and when to sow to produce the best results. He has an accurate appreciation of modern farm implements and machinery and is an up-to-date agriculturist in all that the term implies. He gives also close attention to the moral and educational interests of his community and at one time taught school four terms in Sugar Creek township. Politically he is a Republican, though beyond the exercise of his franchise he has not felt himself called upon to take any active part in politics. Religiously, he affiliates with the Methodist Episcopal church and is active in advancing its interests.
On November 3, 1872, Mr. Weber was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Miss Annie E. Hawk, of Sugar Creek township, a daughter of James C. and Mary J. (McNee) Hawk. Her father was a native of Brown county, Ohio, and her mother of Highland county, that state. The latter, when but four years of age, was brought by her parents to this count. Mr. and Mrs. Hawk were the parents of eight children, mentioned as follows: David F. resided in Greene county, Indiana; Annie is the wife of the subject; Henry L. lives in Henry county, this state; Benjamin is deceased; Catherine is the wife of David L. Wickard, of Center township; Eldora A. is the wife of John Marcee Smith; George O. lives in Sugar Creek township; and Charles H., also a resident of Sugar Creek township. Mrs. Webers father still resides on the old home place. To the subject and wife were born three children, as follows: Cora A. is the wife of John L. Milbourn, of Brandywine township; Carl H. is at home, as is also George E.
It will be apropos in this connection to gibe a few facts concerning the parents of Mr. Weber. His father, Henry Weber, was born February 13, 1826, in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, and chose for his wife Elizabeth Humbach, who was born August 11, 1827. He was by trade a weaver. In 1846, at the age to twenty years, he decided that in America lay larger opportunities for a young man of energy and ambition, and accordingly he emigrated alone to this county going at once to Cincinnati, Ohio. April 1, 1848, he was married, and about the same time went to Butler county, Ohio, where he remained until 1854, when he came to Indiana, locating in Sugar Creek township, Hancock County. Buying here three hundred acres of land, he cleared it and developed it into a fine farm. He lived on this place during the remainder of his life, his death occurring November 27, 1899; his wife died November 9, 1885. She was a native of Rhennish Prussia, Germany, and in 1840 accompanied her parents upon their emigration to America. She was one of a family of nine children, and they were all reared in Hamilton County, Ohio. Henry Weber was a farmer during his entire residence in America. A Democrat in politics, he never was a seeker after office, but performed well his part as a citizen of his adopted country. His wife was a member of the Evangelical Zion church, of Sugar Creek township, as were most of her children. Their children were as follows: John C.; Louis J., who lives in Brandywine township, William E. lives in Sugar Creek township; Catherine, deceased, was the wife of A. F. Schildmeier, of Sugar Creek township; Caroline is the wife of L. H. Jacob, also of Sugar Creek township; Henry died at the age to two years.
Transcribed from Biographical Memoirs of Hancock County B. F. Bowen, Publisher, Logansport, Indiana, 1902 Pages 398-399.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI Sept. 22, 2003.
Return to 1902 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|