Morris Coleman Boone, one of Hanockcounty's well-known and progressive farmers, proprietor of a farm in Brandywine township, on which he has made his home since 1902, is a native Hoosier, born in the neighboring county of Shelby on October 12, 1854, son of Benjamin Harrison and Ellen (Paulen) Boone, both natives of that same county, members of pioneer families in that section of the state.
Benjamin H. Boone was born in 1830, son of Joseph Boone and wife, who were among the early settlers of the neighborhood southwest of Shelbyville, where their last days were spent. Upon growing to manhood's estate, Benjamin H. Boone entered a quarter of a section of timber land from the government, which he later sold and with the proceeds bought an eighty-acre farm, on which he established his home and spent the rest of his life. Though but a boy when the Mexican War broke out, he enlisted for service during that war and served until discharged on a physician's certificate of disability, on account of illness. He was a Democrat and served his district for some time as supervisor of highways. He was a member of the Christian church and an ardent supporter of the good works of the same. He lived to a ripe old age, his death occurring on March 31, 1914. For many years he had been a widower, his wife having died when the subject of this sketch was a small boy, leaving eight children, those besides Morris C. being Barnabas and William T Boone and Mrs. Zora Isler, a widow; Mrs. Fannie Mount, of Greenfield; Mrs. Sally Wood, wife of Charles Wood; Mrs. Cassie Gadddis, of Illinois, and Mrs. Susanna Monroe, of Shelby county.
Morris C. Boone grew up on the paternal farm in Shelby county and received his elementary education in the district schools of that neighborhood, supplementing the same through his busy life by the thoughtful reading of carefully selected books. He early began working on his own account and for ten years was engaged as a farmer for Sylvester Thomas, who gave his substantial assistance in getting a proper start on his present well-kept and well-tilled farm of one hundred acres in Brandywine township this county, where he has lived since 1902 and on which he has made all the present substantial improvements. His place is amply stocked with well-selected live stock and his modern methods of farming insure him a competence. Mr. Boone is a Democrat and ever since taking an active part in the county's political affairs has been an ardent supporter of the principles of that party.
It was in 1881 that Morris C. Boone was united in marriage to Jemima E. House, who was born in Shelby county of July 20, 1860, daughter of Maston House and wife, and to this union four children have been born, three sons, Charles, Frank and Arthur, and one duaghter, Bernice, all of whom received a high school education and all of whom are engaged as teachers save Arthur, who is engaged as a traveling salesman for an Indianapolis firm and who makes his home at Monticello, this state. Mr. and Mrs. Boone are members of the Baptist church and Mr. Boone is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 892-893.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI September 22, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|