Winfield Scott Brandenburgh was born in Moral township, Shelby county, September 18,1880. He is the son of James Henry and Fidelia (Rawlings) Brandenburgh. James Henry Brandenburgh was born on the old Brandenburgh homestead, one and one-half miles southeast of New Palestine, in 1852, and died in February, 1884. He was the son of James Oliver and Marie (Snodgrass) Brandenburgh, and further details of the life of the former are set out in the biographical sketch of Elwood O. Brandenburg, presented on anther page of this volume.
Fidelia Rawlings was born in Sugar Creek township, May 17, 1856. She was the daughter of Stephen and Sarah A. (Cones) Rawlings, who were of the oldest pioneer families in Sugar Creek township, Hancock county, and Moral township, Shelby county. Stephen Rawlings was the son of Samuel Rawlings and wife, who entered one hundred and sixty acres of land in Moral township, Shelby county, four and one-half miles south of New Palestine. Winfield Scott Brandenburgh moved with his parents from Shelby county when he was two years old to a farm one and one-fourth miles southeast of New Palestine. It was there his father died, after which his mother and two children returned to her father's home. A few months later she took charge of a toll house on the old Brookville road, just west of New Palestine. In 1885 she was married to Fred Schilling, of Sugar Creek township, who was a native of Germany. After her marriage they took up their residence on a farm two miles east of New Palestine and one year later moved to a farm two and one-fourth miles northeast of New Palestine. Two years later they moved to Van Buren township, Shelby county, where they resided four years and then returned to Hancock county, and settled on a farm about three and one-half miles northeast of New Palestine. Three years later they moved back to the old place, two miles east of New Palestine, where they resided for the next eighteen years and finally settled again on the old home place, two and one-fourth miles northeast of New Palestine.
Winfield Scott Brandenburgh spent his early childhood and youth in Sugar Creek township, Hancock county, and Van Buren township, Shelby county. He attended the old No. 6 school house and his first teacher was John Garver. After finishing the common schools he started to learn the milling trade, but received an injury to his back, which necessitated his giving up the work. After his milling experience he engaged in farming for the next four years. Then with Jesse Armiger he engaged in the bakery and confectionery business at New Palestine. A year or two later he sold out to his brother, who in the meantime had taken the place of Mr. Armiger. He then went to Indianapolis, where he took a position with the Indianapolis Street Railway Company. A short time later he was taken ill. A few months later he was associated with Mr. Garver in the bakery business and he then took a position as clerk with Kitley & Geisel. For the next few months he worked for an Indianapolis grocery company and shortly after this he was again incapacitated by ill health. This lasted for about two years. After his recovery he engaged in the tailoring, pressing and cleaning business at New Palestine, which he has conducted since the spring of 1909. He also served as deputy postmaster at New Palestine.
On October 5, 1910, Winfield Scott Brandenburgh was married to Nannie Blaine Ingram, who was born in Pendleton county, Kentucky, October 30, 1886, the daughter of Perry J. and Maria (Browning) Ingram. They came to Connersville when Nannie was fifteen years of age, where she resided, with the exception of a short time, until their death. Mr. Brandenburgh is the father of two children: Electra, born on April 9, 1904, and Iona Mae, born April 14, 1911. Mr. Brandenburgh is a member and trustee of the Christian church and his wife is also a member of this church. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, London Lodge No. 466. He is a Democrat in politics and was elected in November, 1914, to the office of trustee of Sugar Creek township after a very spirited campaign. He enjoys the respect of his fellow citizens. He is not only one of the chief officers of the township, but as a man and citizen his character and reputation are above question.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 1129-1130.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 28, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|