Brandywine township is located in the south central part of the county. On April 7, 1828, it was organized as one of the three original townships and included the entire central portion of the county from north to south. Since that time its boundary lines have been changed on several occasions, all of which may be followed by referring to the chapter on county government. At present the township contains twenty-four square miles. It is six miles east and west by four miles north and south. Eight square miles, or a strip of the uniform width of two miles off of the west side of the civil township, lies in congressional township 15 north, range 6 east. The remaining portion of the township, consisting of sixteen square miles, lies in congressional township15 north, range 7 east.
The natural drainage of the township consists of Brandywine creek, which flows to the south through its eastern part, and Little Sugar creek, which flows in about the same direction through the western part of the township. All the land has been well drained artificially. Its surface is level or slightly rolling. It is one of the most fertile townships in the county and is admirably adapted to heavy farming.
The first settlers came in to the township about 1820, or just a year or two after the first settlers had come into the county. Many of the names that are still familiar in the county may be found on the tract book, showing who entered the land. Among them are, Benjamin Fry, Joseph Thomas, Ezekiel Thomas, Rachel Collyer, William Service, Samuel Liming, Richard G. Snodgrass, James H. Anderson, Harrison Allen, Hiram Banks, Michael Manon, Ezekiel Hutton, Alexander Kauble, Elias Marsh, William Williamson, Morris Pierson, Amos Fouty, William Simmons, James Smith, William Gillispie, Eson Thomas, John Alexander, Wellington Collyer, Nathaniel G. Lewis, Samuel Hawkings, John Snodgrass, Garret Snodgrass, Barton W. Anderson, Charles Banks, Samuel Cones, John Taylor, Edward Randall, Robert Smith, John Cowden, Joseph Wood, Isoim Snider, James Tyner, Otho Gapen, Benjamin Snider, William Thomas, Hiram Thomas, Joseph Hawkins, Derastus Fry, Henry J. Fry, Eleazer Snodgrass, Robert W. Dars, George Gray, John Manon, James Alyea, John Zumwalt, William Hamilton, John Williamson, Ebenezer Allen, Joseph Lucas, John Simmons, Thomas Duncan, Mark Whitaker, Henry Duncan, James Ryon, William Martin, William H. Porter, Lucius Brown, John Pope, John Smith, James Gunn.
Fifty years ago, or about the time of the Civil War, and for a number of years thereafter, the Collyers, Wilsons, Lowes, Thomases, Potts, Banks, Milbourns and Andises were the prominent families of the township. The older people have been "gathered unto their fathers," and the younger generations have scattered, yet there are representatives of all of the older families left in the township.
The streams of Brandywine township were rather inadequate to furnish water power for mills. There was however, one water mill constructed in the township which became very prominent as a point of departure for the construction of roads, etc. This mill was built by Othniel H. Sweem, in 1828, on the southwest quarter of section 16, township 15, range 7, the mill and mill race being on the land now owned by Anton Rabe and John Milbourn. Section 16 was the school section and was under the supervision of the school trustees of that congressional township. The school trustees had power to lease the land of the school section for any term not to exceed three years, taking the rents payable in money, property or improvements to be made on the real estate. If directed by a majority of the qualified voters of the township, such lease could be made for any term not to exceed ten years. Sweem did not care to go to the expense of constructing a mill and mill race without assurance that he could hold the property for a longer term than ten years. To make sure of this, a bill was introduced into the Legislature during the winter of 1827-8, which was approved on January 24, 1828, giving the school trustees of this particular section the right to enter into such a contract. Following is the law, which is self-explanatory:
"Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana, that the trustees now appointed, or that may hereafter be appointed, to superintend the school section in township numbered 15 north, of range number 7 east, in the county of Hancock, be, and they are herby authorized to lease the southwest quarter of said school section to Othniel H. Sweem, for the purpose of building a mill thereon, for any term of time not exceeding twenty years, as they in their discretion may find, will most increase the value of said school section and seem most conducive to the public good.
"Section 2. That Othniel H. Sweem shall be bound to build a mill on said southwest quarter section and to complete the same within two years from the time he may enter into the contract with said trustees so to do; said mill when built, shall be of the most durable timber, and everything relative to the same to be made in a workmanlike manner, and when left at the expiration of said lease shall be in good repair. The lessee shall have the privileges that are given by law to other lessees of public lands.
"Section 3. It is hereby made the duty of the trustees of said school section to take good and sufficient security for the faithful performance of said contract.
"This act to take effect and be in force from and after the first day of March next."
Pursuant to the foregoing act, Samuel Martin, Elijah Tyner and Lucius Brown, as trustees of said school section, leased said real estate to Othniel Sweem, for a period of twenty years.
In this lease Othniel Sweem "doth covenant and agree to build a grist-mill with two run of stones, and a country bolt and house twenty by twenty-six feet square, two stories high, and clear and fence twenty acres of ground; also set out fifty apple trees and build such dwelling house as he sees proper; and the said Sweem also binds himself to destroy no timber unnecessarily only for the use and improvement of said house agreeable to an act authorizing the leasing said part of the above named school section, approved January 24, A.D. 1828." (Deed Record "A", page 2).
The first petition asking for the construction of a highway, was presented to the board on August 11, 1828, and asked for a highway to begin at a point below Sweem's mill; "thence to Sweem's mill on Brandywine creek; thence the nearest and best way to the town of Greenfield." This was the first county road constructed through this section of the county, and became a highway with which others from other sections were connected to lead to Greenfield. The early commissioners' records show that Sweem's mill was often referred to in proceedings before the board.
Sweem at first constructed a small grist-mill; later he added a little saw-mill. After a few years he sold out to George Troxwell, who not only operated the mill, but carried on a hatter's shop, and also built a still house near the mill. Other mills were:
Saw-mill, established about 1850, on Brandywine creek, just below the north line of section 32, township 15, range 7, by one Walton. Later owned by Wilkins & Laporte, Charles Gunn and one Durbin. Durbin also made pumps at the mill.
Hominy mill, established by James Smith during the fifties and located on Brandywine creek a short distance below the north line of the west half of the northeast quarter of section 21, township 15, range 7.
Nathaniel Moore built a grist-mill at Carrollton during the sixties, or possibly a little earlier, which was operated until in the latter seventies.
Hiram and John Comstock built a steam saw-mill at Carrollton in 1856; it burned down during the latter seventies, but was rebuilt by William Gordon. Goldon (?) sold the mill to James Boyce, who operated it until about 1894. The machinery was then taken out of the mill, but a year or two later Frank Engle installed other machinery and operate the mill until about 1902, when it burned.
The present grain elevator was built by Buckingham & Patten, of Morristown. During the past ten or twelve years Patten & Zike have owned the mill. For many years it was operated by Charles Amos, and for the past several years Mr. Anderson has had charge of it.
Duncan McDougall and his brother, Dugald, had a tile factory for a number of years about one-half mile below Carrollton. It was established in 1869, and was operated until 1886. The factory itself was located on the Shelby county side of the road.
Little log houses were built in the township by the different communities just as they were built in other townships. Frame buildings were constructed during the latter sixties and early seventies, nearly all of which are still standing and in use. At Carrollton a small one-room frame building stood on the west side of the street just west of the present school house. It faced the east. Religious services were also conducted in this building for a number of years before any churches were built at Carrollton. About 1875 a two-story frame building was erected on the east side of the street, which stood between the present brick school and the street. It was a two-room frame building and faced the west. This building was used until the present two-room brick building was erected about 1892, during the trusteeship of Andrew Williamson. John S. Orr was the builder.
An effort was made during the trusteeship of Charles L. Scott, about 1898, to consolidate the schools of the township for the purpose of establishing a high school. The late Joshua Barrett, Oliver H. Tuttle, John W. Jones, and others circulated petitions to accomplish this end. The opposition was led by Uriah Low and others. The movement ended in failure.
In the spring of 1913 the school house at Cowden was condemned by the state board of health. This brought on another effort to consolidate the schools. Petitions were circulated in the four eastern districts and a majority of names procured thereon. The township advisory board was composed of William Lowe, Thomas M. Tucker and Riley Siders, of whom Lowe and Tucker opposed making the necessary appropriation for the construction of such a building, and the movement failed again. This leaves Brandywine township as the only one in the county retaining her original frame school houses.
Brandywine township has a population of 821, as shown by the United States census report of 1910. In the spring of 1915, 188 children between the ages of six and twenty-one years were enumerated in the township for school purposes. Of this number, 133 were enrolled in the schools during the previous winter. The total cost of maintaining the schools during the year 1914-15 was $2,923.50. The teachers were paid $2,082.50. The estimated value of all school property as reported by the township trustee on August 1, 1915, is $4,300. The total assessment of taxables in the township as reported by the assessor in 1914 was $981,290. Thirty pupils were transported to school during the school year 1914-15, at a cost of $566 to the township.
Brandywine township has always been a rock-ribbed Democratic township. It presents an unbroken line of Democratic township trustees. Following are the names of the men who have served in this capacity: William Service, 1859; Andrew Williamson, 1869; John G. Service, 1874; Duncan McDougall, 1880; Coleman Pope, 1882; John G. Service, 1884; John G. Service, 1886; Andrew Williamson, 1888; Andrew Williamson, 1890; Charles L. Scott, 1894; Dr. Edgar Smith, 1900; Tilghman Scudder, 1904; William A. Scott, 1908; Orlen F. Thomas, 1914.
The local courts have been presided over by a number of men, as indicated below: Benjamin Spillman, 1828; Orange H. Neff, 1830; Joseph Chapman, 1831; Joseph Thomas, 1832; Eleazer Snodgrass, 1836; Abram Liming, 1842; G. Dillard, 1842; Abram Liming, 1847; Henry Lemain, 1847; Mark Whitaker, 1849; Abram Liming, 1852; Mark Whitaker, 1855; Abram Liming, 1856; Mark Whitaker, 1859; Abram Liming, 1860; Benjamin F. Goble, 1863; Alfred Potts, 1865; Andrew J. Smith, 1868; George W. Askin, 1867; Alfred Potts, 1870; Urith Low, 1872; Ephraim Ward, 1874; John Q. White, 1876; Uriah Low, 1876; Benjamin F. Wilson, 1880; Thomas W. Larrabee, 1881-82; John Davic, 1884; James B. Johnson, 1886-90-94; Joseph E. Glass, 1890-98; Adam F. Brown, 1894-98, 1902-06.
Brandywine township has contributed her quota of men who have served the people as county officers; among them are William A. Service, clerk; Lawrence Boring, auditor; Theodore L. Smith, treasurer; William Wilkins, William Thomas, W. H. Thompson and Marshall T. Smith, sheriffs; Edmond Jacobs, recorder; Alfred Potts, county assessor; James Tyner, Benjamin F. Wilson and John T. Burk, commissioners; John Q. White has also served the people in the House of Representative of the Indiana Legislature.
Brandywine township has had two brass bands. The first was known as the Carrollton Band and was organized in the spring of 1880. The following were the charter members of the organization: James F. Reed, first E-flat cornet; Joseph Peck, second E-flat cornet; Wesley Boles, first B-flat cornet; Charles W. McDonald, second B-flat cornet; Burt Rouner, first alto; Lawrence Boring, second alto; Hester Hutton, first tenor; Alvin Boles, second tenor; Ott Willis, baritone; Charles Campbell, tuba; Morton Furry, snare drum; Wilson Campbell, bass drum. John Garver was the first teacher of the band. Other teachers were Isaac Davis and Oliver Lisher. The boys played through the campaign of 1880 and for a year or two following.
Another band was organized in October, 1880, known as the Brandywine Township Band. Following were the members: Aaron W. Scott, Edgar B. Thomas, J. W. Thomas, Charles Scott, John Liming, Carson W. Rush, Emanuel Smith, Frank Kinder, James Scott, William Scott, John Gwinn and Aaron Alyea. Isaac Davis also taught this band for a time.
Little Sugar Creek Christian church, located on the southeast corner of section 23, township 15, range 6, Brandywine township, was first organized in the summer of 1834, with only eight charter members. The persons who composed the organization were Joseph and Margaret Snodgrass, Matilda Wheldon, Phebe Smith, Marshall and Lucinda Snodgrass, Catherine Crouch and Martin Davis. By the close of the year the membership had increased to fifty-seven and the records show a steady gain in membership for several years.
After this little band had met together a few Lord's days they proceeded to perfect their organization by setting apart Eleazer Snodgrass and Joseph Snodgrass as elders and William McCance, James H. Anderson and John Baker as deacons. These officers continued to hold their positions in the church until the year 1843.
From this time until the year 1850 deaths and changes were frequent. In 1848 Jonathan Evans and Eleazer Snodgrass were the elders, and Daniel Long and John Baker, deacons. At this time the membership had increased to eighty-seven.
Until the early sixties the congregation was without a house of worship, having used the log school house which stood on the east side of the road about a half mile south of the present place of worship. A committee was appointed to meet with the Methodist brethren to determine upon building a house of worship to be used jointly by the two denominations, neither organization feeling strong enough financially to build a house of worship alone. The two organizations, however, failed to agree on terms. The brethren at Little Sugar Creek continued to meet and worship at the school house until 1868, when they built the present house of worship.
Among those who are known to have labored with the church in its early days are Isaac Webb, Drury Holt and Thomas Lockhart, very earnest and devout Christian ministers. Among the ministers who have conducted meetings and served the church as pastors during the last third of a century are elders John Smith, J. T. Pierce, James Roberts, D. J. C. Stanley, Aaron Walker, H. R. Pritchard, Thomas Vance and M. F. Rickoff. During the last decade the congregation has been favored with ministers like Thomas Vance, C. A. Johnson, W. D. Willoughby, Cloyde Goodnight, Newton Wilson, Clarence Reidenbach, Harry H. Martindale, W. A. Craig and Ernest A. Addison.
For twenty years past the ladies have maintained a Mite or Helping Hand Society at the place and the valued service they have rendered is almost beyond estimate. Among the charter members of the Ladies' Mite Society were Nancy Furry, Caroline Thomas, Bridget Furry, Deborah Baker, Olive Furry, Eliza Scott, Mollie Gunn, Ellen Conner, Alice Tuttle and Josephine Swain.
Another feature of this church is that, although handicapped by bad roads much of the time, it has been able to support a thrifty Sunday school for forty yeas or more, and the school at this place, while not so large as formerly, compares favorably with the best in Brandywine township.
Of the many who have held positions of trust in this church none stand out more brilliant than John Thomas, George Furry, Hiram Thomas, Wellington Collyer, Cass Thomas, T. J. Nelson, Charles Gunn, and Charles Vetters, the presiding elder at the present time.
With its present membership of almost sixty, although scattered, and with its intelligent young people coming on, representing the best element of our best families, the church at Little Sugar Creek lives on.
Eden Chapel was a United Brethren congregation, organized about 1840. Their church building was located just about one mile east of Carrollton. The early membership included the Muths, Higgenbottoms, Elmores, Mrs. Hoagland and others. The first meetings were held at the residence of George Muth, who was a United Brethren preacher. About 1850 a frame church was built, which became known as Eden Chapel. For a little more than fifteen yeas the congregation worshipped at the Chapel, when they sold it to the Methodist Protestants, who continued to worship in the house until about 1883.
About 1879 the United Brethren began worshipping in the old frame school house that stood just across the street from the present school house in Carrollton. Here they worshipped until about 1855, when, through the efforts of Rev. George Muth and others, a United Brethren church was erected a few feet west of where the old frame school house stood. This church was erected to the memory of Mrs. Muth. On the wall just behind and over the pulpit hung the following neatly framed inscription;"Dedicated to the worship of Almighty God by the United Brethren in Christ. When not in use by them, then open to all religious denominations." Services were held in the church for a number of years afterward, but the local correspondent from Carrollton called attention to the condition of the church in February, 1907 as follows:
"The old United Brethren church is nearly gone and some of the good people are taking care of some of the furniture as a souvenir of old Father Muth, who was the founder of the church many years age. It is a shame the way the good old Bible has been left to fade away. Likewise the memorial of old Mother Muth, which hangs on the wall, is defaced in a shameful way. Many times has that memorial been read by the people. It was the first thing they saw when the entered the church. It was a beautiful inscription. The old fathers and mothers of this country are fast passing away and we should ever keep their good works in our minds and before the people. Many fine sermons did Brother G. W. Hagans preach in the old church, but he too has passed to that great beyond."
Since that time the church has been torn down and nothing now remains of it.
Among the early ministers where George Muth, Amos Hanway and Rev. Ball. Later ministers of the church that are well remembered are Reverends McNew and Hagans.
The Mt. Lebanon Methodist Protestant church originated in 1848. Rev. Thomas Shipp came through Brandywine township and stayed all night at the home of James Smith. He desired to organize a church at some point, and it was suggested that a church could be organized in that immediate locality. Word was sent to the neighbors and arrangements were made for holding a meeting, or revival rather, at the vacant house of Mrs. Robert Caldwell, who husband was a soldier in the Mexican War. Sixteen persons joined the class at this revival. Among the charter members were James Smith and wife, Richard Dobbins, James Baker and wife, Hezekiah Barrett and wife, Richard Milbourn and wife, Mrs. Robert Caldwell, John Roberts,---Wellington, and Henry Smith and wife.
A log church was at once completed at the southeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 25, township 15, range 6. It stood on the spot now occupied by the old Mt. Lebanon cemetery. The church was a small building with puncheon seats, and was used until just prior to the Civil War, when it burned. Among the old ministers who preached here were the Revs. Thomas Shipp, Harvey Collins, ---Bogul, Samuel Lowden and Dr. Rigdon. The first class leader was James Baker, who was followed by Henry Smith.
After the burning of the log church, probably in 1858, the class scattered and services were held at Scott, Cowden and Pleasant Hill school houses until about 1872. At that time the church was reorganized through the efforts of Harvey Collins and John Myers. Preaching services and Sunday school were held at the Pleasant Hill school house until 1882.
Among the charter members of the church organized at the Pleasant Hill school house were Cicero J. Hamilton and John Myers. John Myers was the first class leader and Harvey Collins was in charge of the meeting. Other ministers at the Pleasant Hill school house were Revs. John Low, Isaac Duckworth, Salem Shumway and J. S. Sellers.
In 1882 subscriptions were taken for the purpose of purchasing ground and erecting a building for a church. Rev. J. S. Sellers was pastor on the circuit at the time. The church trustees were Cicero J. Hamilton, Marshall T. Smith, J. W. Comstock, John Roberts and William A. Milbourn. But a short time was required to raise the necessary funds and the new brick house was completed during the summer of 1882, adjoining the spot occupied by the first log church.
Hugh Stackhouse was president of the conference at the time and dedicated the house. The first minister in the new church was the Rev. John Heim. He was followed by James Hughes, S. J. Jones, J. G. Smith, B. W. Evans, Reverends Martin, Iliff, Barclay, and Leffingwell, D. W. Hedricks, George Carns, J. S. Clawson, W. H. Carns, and possible others whose names have been omitted. The first class leader in the new church was John Rush.
The building was remodeled in 1914 during the pastorate of J. S. Clawson, at a cost of two thousand three hundred dollars. It was dedicated clear of debt by W.W. Lineberry. Among the families who have long been faithful to this church should be mentioned William M. Liming, Andrew Richey and Marshall T. Smith. Services are held every second Sunday; Sabbath school every Sunday, with an average attendance of from seventy-five to eighty.
An Aid Society was organized in the church on May 7, 1890, with sixteen charter members The enrollment during the first year reached sixty-six. The society met monthly, each member contributing ten cents per month. The first officers were Kate Milbourn, president; Iduna Barrett, secretary; Linda Duncan, treasurer. The society kept up the running expenses of the church and made many improvements. It at one time made a "name" quilt, with about four hundred names put on blocks, each name yielding ten cents. The quilt was sold and is now in possession of Harrison Duncan and wife. The most of the names were run on the quilt by the late J. H. Barrett. The society was active for sixteen years and dissolved voluntarily March 1, 1906. During its life it earned about nine hundred dollars for the benefit of the church. Its last officers were Luna Kauble, president; Iduna Barrett, secretary, and Lind Duncan, treasurer.
Since that time another Aid Society has been organized, which is rendering efficient service in the church and has paid three hundred dollars on the improvements for the church.
The Carrollton Methodist Protestant church was originally organized during the Civil War, or more probably during the fifties. Though they may not have been charter members of the church, or even members of the church at all, the following families were among those who worshipped at Eden Chapel while the Methodist Protestant services were conducted there: John P. Wickliff and family. Dan Muth and family, Robert P. Andis and family, John D. Lucas and family, Amos Ashcraft, Joseph Higginbotham, Thomas Lowe, Ellis Noe and wife and George Evans. There are no early records of the church, but is seems that they at first worshipped with the different members in the locality immediately east and south of Finly.
In 1865 the congregation bought the Eden Chapel, which stood on the south side of the Brookville road, just west of the east line of the west half of the southwest quarter of section 36, township 15, range 6. They continued to worship at the chapel until about 1882 or 1883, the last minister at that point being the Rev. James Hughes. Among the early pastors who served the congregation were Revs. Samuel Lowder; J. H. G. Prim 1878-80; W. G. Callahan, 1880-81; James Hughes, 1881-83; A. W. Motz, 1883-84; W. G. Callahan, 1884-85; J. G. Smith, 1885-86; John Heim, 1886-88; J. R. Lenhart, 1888-90; J. R. French, 1890-91; T. E. Lancaster, 1891-92; G. W. Bundy, 1892-93.
About 1882 or 1883 the congregation moved its place of worship to Carrollton and for several years worshipped at the United Brethren church. It is remembered that the Rev. John Heim and others conducted revivals at this church.
In 1893 the present church, which stands on the north side of the Brookville road, in Finly; was constructed. The following ministers have served the congregation in the present building: Revs. G. W. Bundy, 1893-95; J. L. Barclay, 1895-99; J. R. Lenhart, 1899-01; J. R. Lenhart and S. Heininger, 1901-02; W. C. Reeder, 1902-04; W. L. Martin, 1904-06; L. V. Sharps, 1906-08; P. W. Boxell, 1908-09; W. S. Coons, 1909-10; A. Leffingwell, 1910-11; Forest Crider and H. C,. Ross, 1911-12; H. C. Ross, 1912-14; S. S. Stanton, D. D., and A. E. Scotten, 1914-15; J. G. Smith, 1915-16. This church has an average attendance at services of one hundred and thirty.
A Sunday school was organized in 1897. It now has five classes with an average attendance of sixty. Following are the persons who have served as superintendents of the Sunday school: J. W. Boring, Vernie Boring, Jessie Barnett, Edgar Wood, Lloyd Ferris, Henry Noe, Crystal McRoberts and Dora Cox.
About 1872 a small Christian Union congregation was organized, which held services for almost ten years at the Porter school house, located at the southeast corner of section 28, township 15, range 7. Among the families that met here for worship were those of Alex Hargrove, George Handy and James Rector.
To Brandywine township belongs the honor of having the first county club in the county, the Country Literary Club. This club was organized October 9, 1903. It owes its birth to a lecture given by a woman foreign missionary at the Mt. Lebanon church during the pastorate of the Rev. D. W. Evans. After a few meetings as a missionary society the members changed the work to literary, and at the home of Mrs. J. C. Tyner, on Mrs. Tyner's birthday, the Country Literary Club began its literary and social career. The first three years were devoted to miscellaneous subjects, following which Bible study was introduced and has been supplemented each year with either domestic science, various literary subjects or state history. The meetings are held on every third Wednesday during the year. The active members are limited to twenty and are residents of Center, Brandywine and Blue River townships. The Country Literary Club was federated with the Hancock County Federation of Country Clubs at its organization in March, 1914.
The Klover Reading Club is a literary club organized by the ladies of Brandywine township on April 4, 1912, with an enrollment of twenty members. The following officers were elected: Mrs. Maud Porter, president; Mrs. Alice Scott, vice-president; Mrs. Belle Milbourn, secretary and treasurer. Mrs. Charlotte Rush, Mrs. Carrie Porter, Mrs. Orville Pope and Mrs. Maud Porter compose the program committee. The club meets on Thursday afternoons at the home of the various members once each month. The program for the first year consisted of magazine articles, book reviews, domestic science and word study. The program for the years 1913, 1914 and 1915 consisted of work from the "Bay View Magazine," Bible and "Research." The membership is limited to twenty. The club has lost one member by death, Mrs. Mary Porter. The present officers are Mrs. Manie Burke, president; Mrs. Ina Pope, vice-president; Miss Carrrie Porter, secretary and treasurer.
Following is a list of the taxpayers of the township who, during 1915, paid taxes in amounts larger than one hundred dollars: John R. Andis, $174.10; Morgan Andis, $306.09; John Alyea, $129.95; George W. Alyea, $117.47; Henry H. Duncan, $168.63; John Hawkins, $225.11; Judea Hutchinson (estate), $120.42; Jacob C. Hamilton, $209.36; Herman C. Hill, $120.59; John L. Milbourn, $479.22; Charles R. Milbourn, $387.29; John E. Smith, $197.41; Emanuel Smith, $112.00; George R. Siders, $126.21; Tilghman H. Scudder, $161.30; Christian W. Schilling, $101.55; Fannie E. Schilling, $105.93; Isaac J. Bennett, $135.57; John T. Burk, $149.76; William F. Espey and wife, $147.73; Uriah Low, $116.38; Richard W. Low, $231.51; Henry M. Lantz, $175.34; Jerry W. Porter, $153.35; Francis M. Porter (estate), $164.27; L. C. N. Pope, $178.87; Thomas M. Tucker, $103.59; John Q. White, $233.63; Lewis J. Webber, $182.37.
A postoffice named Kinder was established on the present site of Carrollton, or near there, on April 28, 1847. Its name was changed to Carrollton on January 26, 1869. The postoffice was maintained until September 30, 1905, when it was taken away and mail was delivered by rural carrier from Fountaintown. Carrollton was then without a postoffice until October 13, 1913, when it was reestablished under the name of Finly, in honor of Congressman Finly Gray. A rural route from this postoffice was started on March 1, 1915. Before the completion of the railroad, in 1869, the mail was delivered by a star carrier, who made two trips per week between Indianapolis and Rushville, as set forth under the history of mails at New Palestine.
The original plat of the town of Carrollton was surveyed by Hiram Comstock, on February 28, 1854, and contained thirty-two lots. The Rev. M. S. Ragsdale platted the only addition to the town, on August 23, 1870.
The business men of the place have been John Elinore, Andrews & Rosebury, Lucas & Armstrong, Henry Noe, A. R. Shirley, C. W. Amos, Harvey Breedlove, Madison and George Campbell, J. W. Hungate, W. P. Giles, T,. E. Arnold and John Schenck. The physicians have been Hiram Comstock, Warren R. King, J. M. Larimore and Edgar Smith. Their practice has been lucrative. Dr. J. M. Larimore especially had a very extensive practice, covering miles in all directions from the town. Dr. Edgar Hawk is the present physician.
This little town has borne more names than any other town in the county. Originally it was known as Kinder. After the name of the postoffice was changed to Carrollton, in 1869, the town was given that name. The railroad and express companies, however, adopted the name of Reedville for their stations. When the postoffice was reestablished in 1913, the name of Finly was added to the list. Amidst all this babel of appellations the common folk christened it "Tailholt," upon which Riley seized and, with poetic genius, immortalized the town.
The following poem is not part of the History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions, but it is the poem referred to in the paragraph above:
The Little Town O' Tailholt
You kin boast about yer cities, and
You kin harp about yer churches, with
They hain't no style in our town - hit's
Some finds it discommodin'-like, I'm
You kin smile and turn yer nose up,
By James Whitcomb Riley
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 513-525.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI December 1, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|