Edward Fink, a native of Sugar Creek township and one of the prominent and successful business men of Hancock county, was born on September 18, 1860, being the son of Henry and Louisa (Miller) Fink. Henry Fink, the son of Andrew Fink and wife, was born in Germany on April 3, 1822, and died at Irvington in 1892. Andrew Fink, a native of Germany, was a farmer in his native country and came to America in 1834 on a sailing vessel, the trip requiring over six weeks. He landed in New York and came by team and wagon to Indiana, settling in Sugar Creek township. Here he entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government, at one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre. His farm was three miles west of New Palestine and here he built a log cabin. The farm was one of virgin timber and required much labor to clear and make ready for crops. He and his family experienced all the hardships incident to the life of the early settler in a new country. By hard wok and strict economy he succeeded in clearing his farm and making it one of the best farms in the community. He later added twenty acres to his original one hundred and sixty. It was here that Andrew Fink and his wife lived the rest of their lives. They were the parents of six children, one boy and five girls.
Henry Fink came with his parents to the home farm when a lad of thirteen years and here he grew to manhood and engaged in farming. At the age of twenty-six he was married to Louisa Miller, who was born on November 5, 1820, and died at Irvington on June 11, 1891. Mrs. Fink was the daughter of Christian Miller and wife, who came to America in 1836. They settled in the western part of Sugar Creek township, where they entered land. Mr. and Mrs. Miller were the parents of seven children, two sons and five daughters.
After his marriage, Henry Fink resided on the old homestead during his active life, and retired to Irvington in 1885, where he died some years later. Besides the home farm, Mr. Fink owned farms in other parts of the county and state, having at one time one thousand and seventy-three acres. He was a most successful farmer and business man. In early life he engaged in the overland freight business, driving six horses from Indianapolis to Cincinnati. Henry Fink and wife were the parents of five sons and two daughters: Mary, deceased; Andrew, Charles, Henry, Christian, Edward and Annie, all of whom grew to maturity.
Edward Fink was born on the old homestead of his grandfather and father, the farm never being in any other name since entered from the government. He received his education in the old Swamp school house, after which he assisted his father on the home farm until he was married on February 18, 1885, to Emma Miller. Mrs. Fink was born in Marion county on September 19, 1865, and is the daughter of Christian and Mary (Meier) Miller, both of whom were natives of Germany. The parents came to the United States in 1865 and settled in Warren township, Marion county. They remained on the farm until 1888, at which time they removed to Terre Haute, where they spent the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of the following children: Christian, Mary, Christina, henry, Andrew, Emma and Charles.
Soon after his marriage Edward Fink took charge of the home farm and has always lived there. In addition to the home place, Mr. Fink owns forty acres near Philadelphia, Hancock county, as well as town property in Irvington. Mr. Fink was one of the organizers of the New Palestine Bank, serving as vice-president, president and in 1911 was elected to the position of cashier, which he now holds.
Mrs. And Mrs. Fink are the parents of one child: Marie, who is at home. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Fink is an active member of the Free and Accepted Masons at New Palestine.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1046-1047.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI October 31, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|