Matthew L. Frank, son of Matthew S. and Nancy (Loy) Frank, was born in Mercer county, Ohio, April 1, 1842; his father was born in New York, his mother in Ohio. The maternal grandfather was George Loy, who was a farmer in Ohio and died at his home near Sunbury, in this state. Matthew S. Frank came to Ohio with his mother and located near Sunbury. There he married and located on a tract of government land in Mercer county and engaged in farming, being one of the pioneer settlers of that county. A considerable part of the land on which he settled was heavily timbered and required much labor to clear and put in shape for cultivation. He was a very successful farmer and accumulated a large body of land during his life. He was the owner of one entire section, six hundred and forty acres, and one hundred and twenty acres in another section. Mr. Loy died at his home at this place; his wife died some years later at the home of her son, the subject of this sketch, at the age of eighty-five years. He and his family were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He had a family of eight children, four of whom grew to maturity, namely: Elizabeth, Nancy, George and Matthew L.
Matthew L. Frank was educated in Mercer county, Ohio, in the days of the log school house. During his school days he worked on his father's farm, and afterward engaged in farming on his own account on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres which he purchased in Mercer county. In 1870 he sold that place and came to Indiana, and bought a farm of one hundred and fifty-seven acres in Green township, Hancock county. He afterward bought additional land and now owns two hundred and sixty acres. He put up a good house and other buildings and has continued to live here ever since. He is now practically retired from active farm work but continues to have general management of his farm. He was married on April 12, 1863, to Matilda Johnston, daughter of James Johnston and wife, both of whom were born in Ireland. The children of this marriage are: Johnston H., who biographical sketch appears in another place in this volume, and Laura Bell Keller. Mr. Frank is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
James Johnston, father of Mrs. Matthew L. Frank, was a son of James and Lutitia (Brownlee) Johnson, natives of Ireland. His father and mother never left their native country. James Johnston was reared and educated in Ireland, working on a farm until he grew to manhood's years. He continued to live in Ireland several years after his marriage. He came to America in 1851, bringing his wife and a family of eight children. He first located near Piqua, Ohio, and engaged in farming. There his wife died, and soon after he removed to Mercer county, Ohio, where he had a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. He continued to make that place his home until his death. He had a brother, Matthew, who preceded him to America, bringing with him his wife and five children. They also located at Piqua and all died there. The Johnsons were Episcopalians, except Mrs. Frank, who is a member of the United Brethren church.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1106-1107.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 17, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|