John Huber was born in Berkshire, Massachusetts, February 9, 1861, the son of John and Agatha (Herb) Huber. John Huber, Sr., was born in Wittenberg, Germany, in 1825, and died in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1874, at the age of forty-nine years. John Huber, Sr., spent his early life in Germany and there received his education. He was married while yet in Germany to Agatha Herb, who was also born in Wittenberg in 1832. She preceded her husband in death by only one week, having died in 1874 at the age of forty-two. They were the parents of five children, the eldest of whom, Mary, was born in German and is now the wife of Adam Mahley, of Shelby county. The other children were, John, Jr., the subject of this sketch; Balbina, who is now deceased and who was the wife of Fred Miller, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Ellen, who is now deceased and who was the wife of Christian Anner, of Buffalo, New York, and Josephine, who is now Mother Superior of the Franciscan Sisters of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
John Huber, after the death of his parents, moved to Shelby county, Indiana, to the home of his eldest sister, Mrs. Adam Mahley. He received his early education in the public schools at LaSalle and Rock Island, Illinois, and at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. On moving to Shelby county he made his home with his sister and brother-in-law, for whom he worked until he was eighteen years of age. He then started out for himself. His first work was on a farm and for this work he received fifty cents a day. He continued to follow farm work for a year or two until on February 7, 1881, he entered the employ of Conrad Geisel and learned the trade of blacksmithing. In this connection he remained until September, 1883. He then bought the shop of A. G. Smith and started in business for himself. He has conducted this business successfully for thirty-three years. In 1885 he moved his shop to its present location. He did an extensive business in agricultural implements for twenty years.
John Huber was married on October 4, 1885, to Nancy Gates, who was born on December 9, 1862, in Sugar Creek township, Hancock county. She was the daughter of Henry and Nancy (Ball) Gates. Henry Gates was born on April 1,5 1824, in Pennsylvania and died at Greenfield, Indiana, on March 4, 1909, at the age of eighty-five years. He was brought to Rush county as a child and was married to Nancy Ball on October 22, 1846. She was born in Rush county, Indiana, and after their marriage moved to Hancock county. They settled a mile and a half east of New Palestine and on December 14, 1862, Mrs. Gates died. At this time some friends of Henry Gates, Anthony Kirkhoff and wife, who had just lost an infant, took Nancy to raise. This association soon ripened into a labor of love and from that time until her marriage she remained with Mr. and Mrs. Kirkhoff. To this first marriage of Henry Gates were born the following children: Mary Jane, Nettie, Henrietta and Nancy, who is the wife of the subject of this sketch. Henry Gates, who was born in Pennsylvania, was the son of John Gates, who was also born in Pennsylvania, in 1793. John Gates served in the War of 1812 and he was the son of John Gates, Sr., who was born in Germany and who served in the Revolutionary War. John Gates, Jr., after the War of 1812 moved to the Shenandoah valley of Virginia and from there to Chillicothe, Ohio, where he was married. Henry Gates was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, April 14, 1824. In eighteen months he was brought to Rush county, Indiana. There Henry Gates grew to manhood. After his first wife's death he was married a few years later, on March 1, 1865, to Mary Ann Lewis and to this union was born one child who died in infancy. Henry Gates was pre-eminently a farmer by occupation although he was a successful merchant and miller. He built the first grist-mill to be erected at New Palestine, this was in 1851. He was one of the charter members of the Methodist Episcopal church at New Palestine and took part in the incorporation of the town of New Palestine. He was a man of high ideals and was an extremely useful citizen.
John Huber, after his marriage, took up his residence at New Palestine and in January, 1896, he began the construction of a modern twelve-room residence which is beautifully situated on Mill street, just east of the grist-mill and here he, with his family, has resided for the past twenty years.
Mr. Huber is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and his wife is also a member of this church. He is a member of New Palestine Lodge No. 404, Free and Accepted Masons. He is a Democrat in politics and was president of the town board of New Palestine for nine years and he has been secretary of the New Palestine Telephone Company for five years. He has been a resident of Hancock county for over thirty-six years. He is a well known and highly respected citizen, a man of big ideals and of sterling integrity. He is the father of the following children: Anna A., who was born on September 15, 1886, is the wife of Dr. E. A. Hawk, of Reedville, Indiana, and they have one child, James Huber; Carl E., who was born on March 4, 1893, and Henry G., who was born on April 28, 1899.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1044-1046.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI October 31, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|