Levi A. Jackson, a native of Wayne county, was born on September 21, 1857, and is the son of John and Martha (Pretchard) Jackson, the former of whom was born in Wayne county, en route to Madison county from North Carolina, and the latter was born in Madison county. Levi and Elizabeth Jackson, the parents of John Jackson, came from North Carolina to Madison county in an early day and settled near where Levi A. Jackson now lives. This they made their home until their death.
The maternal grandparents of John Jackson were pioneers of Madison county and here they made their home and here they died. John Jackson received his education in the schools of Green township. He later engaged in farming and owned two hundred and sixty acres of land in Hancock and Madison counties. He and Mrs. Jackson were the parents of ten children.
Levi A. Jackson received his education in Madison county He has always been a farmer and now owns seventy-nine acres of land in Hancock county. The farm is well improved and Mrs. Jackson has erected all the present modern and convenient buildings
In 1884 Mr. Jackson was married to Louisa Eckhardt, the daughter of Christian and Elizabeth (Baker) Eckhardt.m both of whom were born in Germany. After coming to America they settled in Montgomery county, Ohio, where they were later married, after which they came to Hancock county. In 1865 they purchased fifty-two acres of land, on which they lived until their death. They were the parents of three children: Mary Polly Elizabeth Alba and Louisa.
To John and Martha Jackson were born the following children: Frank, Ellen, Levi A., Elizabeth, George, Nellie, Etta, William, Martha and Walter. There were three sets of twins in the family, as follow: Levi A. and Elizabeth; George and nNellie; William and Martha.
Levi A. Jackson and wife, having no children of their own, have reared Helen Walker, the seventeen-year-old daughter of Mr. Jackson's sister. Helen has been a member of the family since she was four years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are active members of the United Brethren church.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 973-974.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI October 19, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|