Dr. Willliam Albert Justice, one of the oldest and best-known practicing physicians in this part of the state, who has been continually engaged in the practice of his profession in Hancock County since 1879 and who has been located in Greenfield since 1902, is a Hoosier, having been born on a farm near the town of Markleville, Madison County, Indiana, October 12, 1852, son of John Jackson and Lustacha (Blake) Justice, the former a native of Ohio, born on February 22, 1826, and the latter of Indiana, born on Fall Creek in Madison County, April 27, 1830.
John Jackson Justice was but a boy when his parents came from Ohio to this state and settled in Madison County and in the latter place he spent the rest of his life, a farmer and carpenter and a man of large influence for good in his community. John J Justice grew to manhood on the paternal farm in Madison county and married Lustacha Blake, a member of a well-known family of that neighborhood, after which he set up an establishment of his own and was successfully engaged as a farmer, carpenter and cabinet-maker. Doctor Justice has in his possession an old wooden-wheel clock, more than one hundred years old, which was in the family home when he was born, for which his father made a cherry bureau in exchange for the same from the original owner, and which he prizes very highly. John J Justice was a man of strong character and bore the reputation in his community of never having done an act which would create the adverse criticism of his neighbors. He was a Democrat and for years served his township in the capacity of trustee. He died in 1895, at the age of sixty-nine years, and his widow, who still survives, is living on the old home farm of her father's, where she has lived continuously since she was four years old. To John J. Justice and wife six children were born, namely: William Albert, the immediate subject of this sketch; John Henry, who died on September 16, 1902; Ella, wife of Dr. Benjamin Lund Fussell, of Markleville, this state; Ethan Allen, who is living on the old homestead in Madison County; Margaret, who married Harry M. Hardy and died on June 22, 1886, and Lucian, who died in infancy in December, 1872.
William A. Justice was reared on the paternal farm in Madison County, receiving his elementary education in the old "Lick" school in the neighborhood of his home, later attending a normal school conducted by R. I. Hamilton in a Quarter neighborhood, five miles distant, walking to and fro between his home and the school. He then attended the normal school at Anderson, at that time conducted by Joseph Franklin, and thus equipped entered the ranks of public school teachers and for three years was engaged in teaching school in his home township. During this time he was giving close attention to the study of medicine and presently entered the office of Doctor Fussell, under whose tutelage he prepared for entrance in the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, from which institution he was graduated in 1878, after which he formed a partnership with Dr. Benjamin Fussell, which continued about a year. On February 3, 1879, Doctor Justice came to Hancock County and opened an office for the practice of his profession at Eden, where he remained for twenty-four years, during which time he became one of the best-known physicians in the county. On September 30, 1902, Doctor Justice moved his office to Greenfield and has ever since been successfully engaged in practice there.
Dr. Justice is a Democrat and ever since locating in this county has given his thoughtful attention to local political affairs. He was elected coroner of the county in 1882 and was re-elected in 1884, thus serving two terms. In 914 he was again elected to this important public office for a term of two years. Between 1895 and 1900 he served as trustee of Green township and in other ways has served the public to the best of his ability. The doctor is an ardent Mason, as was his father before him, and for three years was master of his home lodge, Eden Lodge No. 477. He is a member of the Greenfield chapter of the Royal Arch Masons, of which he was High Priest, 1912 and 1913; of the Greenfield Commandery, Knights Templar, of which he was Eminent Commander in 1909, and of the Scottish Rite Masons, attached to the consistory of the valley of Indianapolis. He is also a member of the council of the order at McCordsville and of the Order of the Eastern Star at Greenfield, and Murat Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
On January 1, 1879, Dr. William A. Justice was united in marriage to Francena L. Lacy, who was born in Henry County, this state, September 23, 1856, daughter of Parker Lacy and wife, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Ohio, and to this union three children have been born, Lee F., Alma, a teacher in the Greenfield public schools, and Marie, who married Ralph C. Tapscott, of Greenfield. Doctor and Mrs. Justice have a fine home at 404 North State Street, in Greenfield, which is the scene of much genial hospitality, and they are held in high esteem throughout the entire community.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 864-866.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI September 12, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|