Fred A. Masterson, member of the town council of Shirley this county, and proprietor of a prosperous bakery at that place, is a native of Indiana, having been born on a farm in Wells County this state, August 16, 1872, son of Daniel Masterson, a Kentuckian, born in 1835, who came to Indiana when a boy and spent the rest of his life in this state, his death occurring in August, 1911, at the sage of seventy-six year. He and his wife were the parents of nine sons, all of whom are still living. The mother died when the subject of this sketch was two years old and the sons thereafter were scattered.
Fred A. Masterson was reared from babyhood in the family of Robert Drew, in Wells county, this state, and grew to manhood on the Drew farm, receiving his schooling in the district school in the neighborhood of that home. When twenty-one years old he left the Drew farm and learned the cigar-maker's trade, at which he worked for about five years, after which he took up the baker's trade and became a very proficient baker, presently opening a bakery in Bluffton, where he continued in business for two years, at the end of which time he sold the place to such excellent advantage that he entered the business of building up bakeries to a profitable point and selling them to advantage, and was thus engaged for about eight years. On March 18, 1901, Mr. Masterson set up a bakery at Shirley, this county, in pursuance of his general plans, and found the place so desirable as a place of residence that he had no desire to sell his establishment and has ever since made his home there and is still quite successfully operating his bakery. Mr. Masterson is a Democrat and ever since locating at Shirley has taken an active interest in civic affairs and is at present serving as a member of the town council.
On June 24, 18903, Fred A. Masterson was united in marriage to Maud M. Houck, daughter of Abraham and Martha P. (Orr) Houck, the former of whom is a well-known druggist at Shirley and the latter of whom died in 1898. To this union two children have been born, one of whom died in infancy, the second being C. Max, born on February 20, 1911. At the time of her marriage Mrs. Masterson was the leading milliner at Shirley and for years has taken a prominent part in the social and cultural affairs of her home town. Mr. and Mrs. Masterson are members of the Christian church and take an active part in the various beneficences of the same, as well as in all local good works. Mr. Masterson is a Knight Templar Mason, a member of the commandery at Knightstown, and is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in the affairs of all of which organizations he takes a warm interest.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 895-896.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI September 24, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|