Charles A. Ostermeier, one of the representative agriculurists of Sugar Creek township, Hancock county, Indiana, is well and favorably known and his character and reputation are above reproach. He has been a life-long resident of this section, his birth having occurred on May 9, 1852, on the Ostermeier homestead in this township and county. His parents were Gottlieb and Sophia (Miller) Ostermeier, early settlers of this locality. Gottlieb Ostermeier was a native of Germany and was born in 1807, immigrating to America after having received his education and training as a spinning-wheel maker. After nearly four months required in making the voyage, he was landed at Baltimore, Maryland, coming thence, by canal and the Ohio River, to Cincinnati and then to Hancock county, Indiana, where he located in Sugar Creek township, His home was established on eighty acres of unimproved land, purchased in the southeast quarter of section 13, where a small clearing was made and a log cabin and barn were erected. Subsequent to his marriage with Mrs. Sophia (Miller) Richman, who by her former union had three children, seven sons and daughter came to bless them, namely: Christina, Mary, Gottlieb, Christina, Charles A., Anton and Henry. The names of the children by the first of Sophia (Miller) Richman are given as follow: William, Sophia and Louise. All of the children by both marriages have died with the exception of Henry and Charles A.
In 1860, Gottleib Ostermeier purchased one hundred and sixty acres of partially improved land in sections 7 and 8, which property became the permanent home of the family. A farm containing one hundred and twenty acres was also purchased, but was later sold, the home place alone being retained. In political life, Gottlieb Ostermeier was a stanch Democrat and in his religious relations he was a member of the old Hickory (German Lutheran) church, of which his wife was also a member. His death occurred on April 1, 1872, his wife surviving him until in the spring of 1891, at which time she died at the age of seventy-two years.
Charles A. Ostermeier spent his early childhood on the original homestead, just north of the German Lutheran church and at the age of eight years moved with his parents to their permanent home, where his education was received in the old log school in the Adran Rint woods. After completing same, he attended the German school in Indianapolis, Indiana, for two winters, after which he continued to assist his father with the work on the home farm until twenty-five yerars of age. On July 25, 1877, Charles A. Ostermeier and Mary Breier were united in marriage and six children were born of their union, namely: Charles Henry, who died in infancy; Emma, William, Christian, Henry Fredrick, who died at the age of fourteen, and Clara, who died when only eleven months of age. Mary (Breier) Ostermeier was born on March 24, 1852, on the old Breier homestead in Sugar Creek township, of this county, and was the daughter of William and Christina (Beerburg) Breier, both natives of Germany, who immigrated to America in 1840 and located in Sugar Creek township. William A. Breier was born in Frilee, Germany, about 1806, and died in 1888, in his home which he ad established on American soil.
Seeking his fortunes in the agricultural field, Charles A. Ostermeier, shortly after his marriage, rented the farm of Henry Rosener, on which he continued to reside for one year, thence removing to the Widow Meir's place on the National road. One year later he purhased his present farm of one hundred and three acres, to which he later added thirteen and one-half acres more. While this transaction was in process of ajdustment he occupied the northwest eighty of the Breier homestead and the following year took possession of his own farm. This was in the spring of 1881, which establishes a record of more than thirty-three years that he has been a resident of the one place. The original house, which was used as a tavern in the stage-coach days, has been replaced by one containing seven rooms. The old house was destroyed by fire on July 10, 1891. A residence of nine rooms has also been built on the east side of the farm and all other buildings are in keeping with these edifices. The farm proper is devoted to the raising of corn, cattle and poultry, these being the principal sources of income. Politiclly, Charles A. Ostermeier is a worker in the ranks of the Democratic party, and in his religious life is affiliated with the German Lutheran church, of which he is an elder, and of which both he and his wife were ardent supporters. On March 7, 1910, Charles A. Ostermeier had the great misfortune to lose the faithful companion who had always been a devoted wife and mother.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 979-981.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI October 19, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|