Among the numerous Hancock county "boys" who have sought wider fields for the exercise of their talents and have done well in whatever enterprises they have engaged in elsewhere, few have retained a livelier interest in the scenes of their boyhood or have retained more of the abiding friendships of their youth hereabout than has Charles E. Pauley, now of Indianapolis, who has long been recognized as one of the most successful and distinctive figures in printing circles in Indiana. Mr. Pauley had the foresight to recognize the need of developing a new and distinctive branch of the printing trades in this state and the forethought to become a pioneer in that development. As pioneers deserve to do, he has succeeded in the undertaking upon which he entered ten years ago and now enjoys the distinction of being the sole owner of the largest custom linotype plant in Indiana, his busy battery of machines supplying the needs of the trade in all parts of the state.
Charles E. Pauley was born at Greenfield, this county, January 15, 1868, son and only child of Joseph H. and Elizabeth (Morris) Pauley, both natives of this county, the latter of whom died when her son was little more than a year old. Joseph H. Pauley was a member of one of the old families of Hancock county and was reared in the Eden neighborhood, where he learned the carpenter trade and later became a building contractor, remaining thus engaged throughout the active years of his life, all of which was spent here save the last year, which was spent in the home of his in Indianapolis, his death occurring there when he was past sixty-five years of age. He was a Republican, ever taking an earnest interest in the political affairs of his home county, and was a member of the Greenfield lodge of the Knights of Pythias, in the affairs of which he took a warm interest.
Even from the days of his boyhood the print shop possessed a fascination for Charles E. Pauley, and upon completing his schooling in the graded schools of Greenfield he entered upon his career as a printer. He learned his trade in the office of the Jeffersonian and the Democrat at Greenfield and in 1888, he then being about twenty years of age, went to Indianapolis, where for three years he was engaged as a compositor on the old Sentinel. When the linotype, that wonderful machine which revolutionized the process of typesetting, began to be introduced into the print shops of Indianapolis, Mr. Pauley became greatly interested in the same and lost little time in learning to operate the machine, presently becoming regarded as one of the best machinist-operators in the capital city. In 1906 he recognized the possibilities of the custom linotype business and bought a machine, which he installed in a small shop at 119 West Maryland street, and there began to supply the needs of the trade. It was not long until he realized that he was "filling a long-felt want," for he found himself "swamped" with orders. He presently added a second machine to his equipment and as his business grew added still another, and moved to more commodious quarters, and thus continued to add to his equipment, his business constantly growing as his reputation for faithful performance of contracts extended throughout the state, until now he has ten machines, which are kept going night and day, as well an admirably equipped and capably manned plant for general publication work, and has become one of the substantial figures in the industrial and commercial life of the city.
On June 27, 1888, Charles E. Pauley was united in marriage to Gertrude Chamberlain, who was born in Greenfield, this county, in February, 1870, daughter of Samuel and Mary Chamberlain, also natives of Greenfield, and to this union four daughters have been born, Hazel, who married Von Glascock and is living at Greenfield; Ethel, who married L. V. Meriman, of Indianapolis; Mabel, wife of Frank Meredith, also of Indianapolis, and Margaret, who is still in school.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 1139-1140.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 28, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|