Charles L. Pope was born in Buck Creek Township, Hancock county, December 4, 1850. He is a son of Christian and Sophia (Rupke) Pope, both natives of Germany, who were married there. Fred Pope, the paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in England and was a soldier in the English army. He was sent to Germany and was stationed at one place for seven years and while there he married a German woman; there they both died. The civil occupation of the elder Pope was that of a dealer in live stock.
Christian Pope came from Budeburg, Germany, in December, 1833, and located in the German settlement in Sugar Creek township, Hancock County. Soon after he bought forty acres of timber land in Buck Creek township, and built on this land a kind of a brush house in which to live. This land and all surrounding land was at that time an unbroken forest in which wild animals of various kinds roamed at will. Wolves were numerous and inclined to be savage and troublesome to the pioneer settler, especially at night. Mr. Pope tells how he protected himself from these ferocious animals by building a fire and keeping it burning all night in front of his isolated brush abode. He had only fifty dollars to start with and, in order to earn enough to pay for his land and "keep the wolf from the door" he and his brothers, William and Frederick, worked on the canal, coming home every two weeks. Their wives would make an occasional trip to Cumberland to purchase the necessary supply of groceries. By this sort of economy and industry, Christian Pope made his start in the woods. He cleared the timber from his forty acres and built a log house in which to live. He manufactured the lumber necessary in building by sawing it from logs by hand. Later he purchased an additional tract of land, consisting of one hundred and seventeen acres, the same that is now owned by his son, the subject of this sketch. Here Christian Pope and his wife both died. They were members of the German Lutheran church. Their children were: Christian, Sophia (decreased), Mrs. Mary Brindler, William, Mrs. Laura Myers, Henry, Charles L., and Andrew, deceased.
Charles L. Pope was educated in the schools of Buck Creek and Sugar Creek townships, and thirteen days in the Lutheran school. His education was in the German language; whatever he has of English education is self-acquired. He came to the farm where he now lives with his father in 1864, and has lived here ever since, except seven years that he lived in Indianapolis and worked at the trade of chair-making. He has here ninety-four acres of good land, on which he has built two good houses, barns and other buildings. He was engaged in general farming here for many years, but retired from active work about 1911, and turned the management of the farm over to his two sons, Andis and Fred. Mr. Pope was married, August, 1882, to Susan Roberts, of Hancock county; Andis and Fred, named above, are their two sons. They are members of the Lutheran church.
Mrs. Susan (Roberts) Pope is a daughter of Leander Roberts, who was born in Richmond, Indiana, May 11, 1829. He was a son of Joseph and Etta (Cox) Roberts, who were early settlers of Richmond, Indiana. They came to Center township, Hancock county, in 1843, and located on a farm of sixty-three acres, which was cleared and improved by Mr. Roberts. Here he and his wife made their home during the remainder of their lives.
Leander Roberts, father of Mrs. Pope, was educated in Richmond and followed the occupation of a farmer. He lived for a time in Green township, Hancock county, and later in Madison county. He was a large landowner in these two counties, and was largely engaged in stock buying. His wife's maiden name was Leah Henry, born in Virginia, a daughter of Samuel and Attie Henry, who were among the early settlers of Green township, Hancock county, where they both died. Mr. Roberts was the owner of about two hundred acres o land in Green township. The Roberts family were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 875-876.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI September 20, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|