Charles Prescher was born at Neudorf, by Borkendorf, near Neisse, Silesia, Germany, April 22, 1854. He is a son of Charles and Zosepha (Knofel) Presher, who were both natives of that same place in Germany. The former died in Germany in 1864, and later came to America in 1883 and spent her last hears with her son, Paul, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she died in 1911, at the advanced age of ninety years. She was born in 1821.
Charles Prescher, Sr., was a blacksmith by trade. He was but forty-seven years old when he died. He was born in 1817. He was the father of ten children, four boys and six girls: Anna, Frank, Matilda, Zosepha, Mary, Charles, who was the subject of this sketch; Francesca, Martha, Andrew and Paul. Of the above named, Frank, Matilda and Zosepha remained in Germany and Matilda is now deceased. The others came to America at different times. Charles, who is the subject of this sketch, was the first to come and the others followed. All are living except Mary.
Charles Prescher spent his childhood and youth in Germany. There he received his common school education and there he worked as a little boy in his father's blacksmith shop. He later learned the trade of a pump-maker. He remained in Germany until he was twenty-six years of age and in May, 1880, he came to America on the steamer "Egypt," landing in New York on May 23, of that year. For about nine weeks he worked as a gardener in New York City. He then came west to Indianapolis, where he worked for Charles Mayer & Company for nine months. About this time he was married to Theresa Gruner, who was born at Kaindorf,m near his birthplace in Germany, December 29, 1857. She was the daughter of Ignatz Gruner and wife. She came to America in 1883 and located in Indianapolis. After their marriage Mr. Prescher worked for Andrew Schildmeier for the next three years.
In August, 1886, Mr. Prescher bought a fifty-acre tract of land of Thomas Eaton, two miles southwest of New Palestine. For this land he paid thirty-two dollars an acre. At that time there were no improvements of the land and it was nearly all covered with timber. Mr. Prescher built a two-room frame house and a log stable and then proceeded to clear the land and till it, and to gradually improve it. In 1908 he bought another tract of forty acres adjoining his home place on the west. For this he paid a hundred dollars an acre. He now has ninety acres in all. In 1907 he remodeled and enlarged his house, making a beautiful eight-room residence. His other improvements consisted of a barn and other smaller buildings in keeping with the surroundings. He cultivates about fifty acres of corn and about twenty acres of small grain. He usually feeds about thirty head of hogs. He attributes his profits to corn and hogs and dairy and poultry products. He is the father of the following children: Henry, who married Cordia Vest and who has two children; Charlie, who married Anna Richman and who resides near Indianapolis; Valeska, Minnie and Anna, who are single. Mr. and Mrs. Prescher both belong to the Evangelical Zion church of New Palestine. Mr. Prescher is a Democrat in politics. On November 24, 1915, Mr. Prescher and family moved to 344 South Emerson avenue, Indianapolis, where he has built a modern, seven-room residence. He now rents his farm.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 1124-1125.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 23, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|