William G. Spilker is one of the progressive young agriculturists of the locality, and is well-known throughout Sugar Creek township, Hancock county, Indiana. His birth occurred on July 8, 1885, on the farm which he now owns, and he is the son of Anton and Ellen (Rosener) Spilker, who are both natives of Sugar Creek township, in this county.
William G. Spilker spent his early childhood with his maternal grandparents, resuming his abode under the parental roof after he had reached the age of eleven years. Until twenty years of age he continue to reside with his parents on the old home place, which is located one and one-half miles south of the town of Philadelphia, Indiana. Here he attended district school No. 2, his first teacher being Miss Everson. He also attended the German school for a period of three years, later returning to the school in Greenfield, Indiana. After the completion of his education he assisted his father with the work on the home place until twenty years of age, at which time he removed to Jennings county, Indiana, where he was employed by Walter Schildmeier for two years. The two years following he spent in Ashton, South Dakota, and the next winter in Seattle, Washington, subsequently residing in California and Colorado for two years, after which he returned to his home and operated the place for one year.
On November 26, 1913, William G. Spilker and Lulu M. Schildmeier, daughter of Anton F. and Catherine (Weber) Schildmeier, were united in marriage and to them has been born one child, Anton Fredrick, whose birth occurred on February 2, 1915. Lulu (Schildmier) Spilker is a native of Sugar Creek township, Hancock county, Indiana, and was born on August 25, 1886. She is one of four children born to her parents, two of whom died in infancy. Walter is the other surviving child. By a second marriage Anton F. Schildmeier had a daughter, Marie. Almost immediately following his marriage, William G. Spilker took up his residence on the old home place where he has since continued to live. This place contains one hundred and twenty-eight acres of well improved land and is devoted to the raising of general crops, as well as to the raising of Percheron draft horses, cattle and hogs.
William G. Spilker is a member of the German Lutheran church, while his wife is an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal church of New Palestine, Indiana. Politically, he is a stanch Democrat and is active in all local elections.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1077-1078.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 12, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / email@example.com|