Dr. Charles Titus, of Wilkinson, one of the best-known and most successful physicians in Hancock county, is a native Hoosier, born in Madison county, this state, February 14, 1870, youngest of the fourteen children born to Samuel and Eliza (Seward) Titus, the former a native of the state of New Jersey and the latter of Ohio, who settled in Indiana in the early forties and spent the rest of their lives in this state.
Samuel Titus was born in the town of Salem, New Jersey in 1816 and when fifteen years old went to Cincinnati, where he was engaged in the manufacture of brick until his marriage, when about twenty-five years old, after which, in 1841, he and his wife came to Indiana and established their home on a farm near Markleville, in Madison county, becoming substantial and influential residents of the community in which they settled. Mrs. Titus, who was born in Mt. Pleasant, a suburb of Cincinnati, in 1820, died in January, 1871, and Samuel Titus survived her more than fifteen years, his death occurring on June 9, 1886. They were earnest members of the Baptist church and their children were reared in that faith. Samuel Titus was a progressive and energetic farmer and left an estate valued, at the time of his death, at about sixty thousand dollars, which today is worth three times that amount.
Charles Titus was but an infant when his mother died and was sixteen years old when his father died. He was reared on the home farm and his elementary schooling was obtained in the schools of Markleville. He then entered Spiceland Academy, from which he was graduated in 1891, after which he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. R. D. Hanna at Warrington, this county. Thus equipped by preparatory study he entered Bellevue Medical College at New York City and was graduated from that institution in 1894. Upon receiving his degree Doctor Titus returned home and in that same year was admitted to partnership with Doctor Hanna, his old preceptor, at Warrington. This mutually agreeable partnership continued until the death of Doctor Hanna two years later, in 1896, after which Doctor Titus continued practice alone in Warrington until 1914, a period of about twenty-two years, after which he moved to the neighboring village of Wilkinson, in order to enjoy the better facilities of waterworks and electric lights, and has been practicing there ever since. Doctor Titus keeps fully abreast of the latest advances in his profession and in 1902 took a post-graduate course at the post-Graduate Medical College at Chicago. Doctor Titus is a Democrat, but has never taken an active part in political affairs. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church and take a warm interest in local good works.
Mrs. Titus, who is a most competent and valuable helpmate for the Doctor, was Matilda Trees before her marriage and was born in the village of Warrington, this county, July 28, 1877, daughter of William and Margaret (McMahan) Trees, the former of whom was born in this county and the latter in the state of New York and both of whom are still living. Mrs. Titus received her schooling in Warrington and early evinced an unusual aptitude for music. She was given a musical education in one of the leading conservatories of music at Chicago and upon her return to Warrington began teaching music and was this engaged at the time of her marriage to Doctor Titus in 1914. Doctor Titus is a thirty-second degree Mason, a member of the Indianapolis Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and a Knight Templar, a member of the commandery at Greenfield and Murat Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Odd Fellows and in the affairs of all these organizations takes a warm interest.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1091-1093.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 17, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|