William H. Warrum was born in Green township, Hancock county, July 16,1840.a son of James and Sarah (New) Warrum, both born in Wayne county, Indiana. James Warrum's birthplace was in a blockhouse in use by the citizens of Wayne county during the War of 1812. The paternal grandparents of William H. Warrum were Harmon an Sarah (Butler) Warrum , both natives of Kentucky. They came to Indiana in 1811 and settled in Wayne county on one hundred and sixty acres of government land. Mr. Warrum built a home here, cleared and improved the land and continued to live here until the death of his wife. Some time afterward he sold his land and was again married, and later moved to Hancock county, where he bought a farm of two hundred and forty acres. On it he built the first frame house in Hancock county, located on Blue river, near Wolf's mill. Later he sold this land and bought two hundred and thirty acres in Green township. This land he afterward gave to his sons and bought another eighty acres in Center township, near Greenfield, where he spent the remainder of his days. The maiden name of his second wife was Marion Meek. Harmon Warrum was a soldier in the War of 1812.
The maternal grandparents were Daniel and Susan (King) New, both born in Pennsylvania. In 1813 they removed to Fayette county, Indiana, where they located on one hundred and sixty acres of government land. They remained there until about 1820, when they removed to Wayne county, Indiana, remaining there until about 1830, when they removed to Blue River township, Hancock county, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land. After the death of his wife Mr. New removed to Iowa and bought a farm about twelve miles west of Des Moines, and engaged in farming. He was again married; Rebecca Ring was the maiden name of his second wife. Both died at their home in Iowa.
James Warrum, a brother of the paternal grandfather of William H. Warrum, took a boat load of mules from Wayne county, Indiana, to New Orleans in 1813, to sell to Southern planters. He went from there to South America, but was never heard from after leaving New Orleans and nothing is known as to the success of his hazardous undertaking.
James Warrum came to Hancock county with his parents when he was young. He was a farmer all his life. He had a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Green township, Hancock county, and died at his home on this farm. He was a straightforward, honest, industrious man, and had the respect of the community in which he spent his entire life. His children were: William H., Elizabeth, Harmon, Amanda, Mary, Louisa, James, Daniel Jackson, Eliza and Serilda, who died at the age of twelve years.
William H. Warrum was educated in the public schools of Green and Center townships. He taught school for two years, 1862-1863, at the Michigan school house in Green township. The remainder of his active life has been spent on the farm. In 1895 he turned his attention especially to dealing in fine breeds of horses, making a specialty of stallions, draft and race horses. In connection with this business he carried on farming on his farms in Green and Blue River townships, where he lived for about thirty years. In the spring of 1915 he retired from active business and is now living in Eden, Hancock county.
On March 9, 1861, William H. Warrum was married to Martha Fry, of Center township, Hancock county, a daughter of John Fry, one of the old citizens of that township. The children of this marriage are: Barry W., John, Viola and James. Mr. and Mrs. Warrum were both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Warrum died on September 9, 1909. Mr. Warrum's fraternal affiliation is with the Free and Accepted Masons. Politically, he is a Democrat, and was for fifteen years assessor of Green township, Hancock county.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Page 1082-1083.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 12, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|