Dr. Claude Paullus Wilson, a well-known veterinary surgeon at Greenfield, this county, and who is identified with several important interests in and about that city, is a native of Ohio, born in Preble county, that state, October 24, 1868, son of Gilbert and Sarah (Danner) Wilson, the former of Irish parentage and the latter of Dutch descent, both also born in Preble county. Gilbert Wilson was reared a farmer and farmed in his native county until 1875. After the death of his wife in September, 1874, he moved to Indiana, settling in Hendricks county. To this union were born two sons, William D., who died on July 9, 1913, in Greenfield, Indiana, while home on a visit, having been engaged in the real-estate business in Spokane, Washington, several years before his death, and the subject of this sketch. Gilbert Wilson married a second time and he and his wife are now living at Brownsburg, this state.
Claude P. Wilson was not quite seven years old when his mother died and he was taken in charge by his aunt, Mrs. Mary Paullus, wife of Capt. M. L. Paullus, of Greenfield, who reared him. From childhood he was greatly interested in horses and upon completing his schooling in the Greenfield schools began to travel with race horses about the central circuit. Incidentally he learned the harness-making trade and was thus engaged until he was twenty-three years old, when he entered the Indianapolis Veterinary College, from which he was graduated in 1895. He opened an office in Greenfield for practice, but in 1896 went to Pendleton, where he practiced for ten months, at the end of which time he returned to Greenfield and ever since has made his home there and has been successfully engaged in the practice of his profession. Doctor Wilson also is engaged in the livery business, in connection with which he operates a delivery system in the city of Greenfield. He also for some time operated a harness shop, having bought out the manufacturer from whom he learned the trade as a boy. He is likewise connected with the Hamilton Chemical Company, located at Noblesville, and is vice-president and general manager of the Hancock Fertilizer Company, which has a reduction plant at Greenfield. Doctor Wilson is a Democrat and takes an earnest interest in political affairs but has never been an aspirant for public office.
On November 8, 1893, Dr. Claude P. Wilson was united in marriage to Clara Gephart, who was born at Greenfield in 1871, daughter of Andrew and Emaline (Slifer) Gephart, natives of this county, the former of whom was a well-known wagon-maker at Greenfield, and to this union two children have been born, Mary and Lucile, the latter of whom died when three years old. Doctor and Mrs. Wilson are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. The Doctor is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Improved Order of Red Men and takes a warm interest in the affairs of these orders.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 1120-1121.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI November 20, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|