Edwin P. Wilson, of Greenfield, for years one of the best-known merchants of that city, is a native son of Hancock County, having been born in the village of Eden in Green Township, November 7, 1872, son of James W. and Martha (Johnson) Wilson, the former of whom later became a merchant at Greenfield
Reared at Greenfield Edwin P. Wilson attended schools of that city and had reached the high school when the death of his father interrupted his plans for a higher education, his time thereafter being devoted to the support of his widowed mother. He secured a position in the mercantile establishment of the J. Ward Walker Company and has ever since been actively connected with that establishment. He began his service with the company in the capacity of clerk and gradually advanced until he presently became a stockholder in the concern, later being advanced to the position of vice-president of the company and general manager of the store, which position he now occupies. Mr. Wilson for years has given his most thoughtful attention to the business affairs of Greenfield and has done much in the way of promoting the general commercial interests of the city and of the county at large. He is a Democrat and also has given a good citizen's attention to local political affairs. For years he was a member of the school board of Greenfield and served as secretary of the board during the period 1905-08, in which capacity he was able to render admirable service in behalf of the city schools and the general cause of education hereabout.
On October 18, 1894, Edwin P. Wilson was united in marriage to Nannie B. Walker, who was born in Greenfield, daughter of the late J. Ward Walker, for many years one of the best-known merchants in central Indiana and head of the company which controls the store still bearing his name of which Mr. Wilson is general manger, and to this union two children have been born, Josephine and James W. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are members of the Bradley Methodist Episcopal Church and give their thoughtful attention to all movements having to do with the general advancement of the community interest. Mr. Wilson is a charter member of the locally influential Temple Club. He is a Mason, a Knight Templar, member of the blue lodge and the commandery at Greenfield and of Murat Temple Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Indianapolis. He is also a member of the Greenfield lodge of the Knights of Pythias and of the Improved Order of Red Men.
Transcribed from History of Hancock County, Indiana, Its People, Industries and Institutions by George J. Richman, B. L., Federal Publishing Co., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 871-872.
Submitted by Sylvia (Rose) Duda, Laingsburg, MI September 22, 2001.
Return to 1916 Index | Return to Hancock Co. Main Page
|Tom & Carolyn Ward / Columbus, Kansas / firstname.lastname@example.org|